Tuesday, May 26, 2009

When It Rains, It Pours

Life can often throw things at us in fast succession! Sick kids, a broken washing machine, the toilet gets stopped up, a flat tire on the car, and a phone call complaining about the dog's barking all in one day! Times like those make us feel like sitting in a heap on the floor and hiding until the clouds disappear and the sun is shining again. Unfortunately, we don't have that option.

Instead, we take the kids to the doctor, we call the repairman for the washing machine, we call the plumber to unclog the toilet, we fix the tire (or call for help), and we bake the neighbor a pie and apologzie for the noise and promise we'll keep our dog quiet. By then, we're STILL ready to fall on the floor in a heap from physical and mental exhaustion!!!

How do we find replenishment during times like that when the rain won't stop and it just keeps on pouring? For me, I've had to learn the art of visualization. I find a secluded place (most often that's in my bedroom), lock the door, play some very soft, calming music, and close my eyes allowing only peaceful scenes to run through my mind. I visualize a meadow of soft grass, a field of lovely flowers, or a secluded beach with only the ocean waves softly rolling onto shore and lovely palm trees swaying in the breeze. I call this my "take fifteen" where I allow only positive healing thoughts, sights, and sounds to enter my mind. By the end of the fifteen minutes, I'm far more composed, feel more in control, and have the energy to tackle the problems that are waiting for me.

A good reminder is this: nothing lasts forever -- and this is especially true of the rain. Sooner than we think the sun will be shining again!

I hope you can find your "healing place" and visit that place often. Share with others, too, so that we can all learn and grow from each other!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment