Thursday, February 9, 2012

Are There Flowers in Hell?


Beautiful flowers blooming in the midst of tremendous pain!

















Sometimes people can ask some really strange questions!  Here's one that I got asked a while ago.  "Are there flowers in hell?"  Now, what kind of question is that?!?!? 

After thinking a minute or two, I said that I doubted there would be flowers blooming in hell -- not according to the description of hell in the Bible.

BUT, I do know that flowers can bloom in the midst of agony and pain.  And, I think part of the purpose of gorgeous flowers that bloom in spite of brokenness and pain is to give us something beautiful to focus on and to give us HOPE of a better day.  Maybe that's why I'm such a flower nut!  I love, love, love flowers!!! And, I sure do love hope!!! 

Last year when my daughter spent time in Haiti, she saw all kinds of things that broke her heart.  Extreme poverty.  Severe damage due to storms.  Orphaned children.  Elderly living in blindness and fear.  Starvation.  Illness with not even a Tylenol to reduce pain and fever.  Nakedness.  Homelessness.  So much pain and suffering!

BUT, Stephanie took a picture just for me.  "Here's a picture of some flowers for you, Mom!"  Steph has no idea how many times I've looked at that photo in this past year.  In every petal I see hope.  I see God's love within each bloom.  I see His hand stretching out to those who are in daily pain saying, "I've sent you these flowers to show you that nothing -- absolutely nothing -- can keep my love from reaching you!"

When I set foot on Haitian soil, I will also experience walking among pain and poverty and illness such as I've never seen before.  But, you know what?  I'm going to be looking for those flowers!  The yellow flowers that bloom so brightly!  Why?  Because those flowers will quiet my broken heart and remind me that God is near to the brokenhearted.  He is with us in our pain.  He has not forgotten us or forsaken us.

Are there flowers in hell?  I doubt it.  But, I know there are flowers in our suffering and pain, and I'm so thankful for that precious reminder of hope!

Only thirty six more days until take off.....

Love,
Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment