Sunday, February 5, 2012

There Are Hundreds of Chicken Recipes, but......
















I love the taste of fresh chicken and have had it prepared in more ways than you can count!  However, I have never eaten chicken feet cooked with beans.  Nor, have I watched someone slaughter a chicken in front of me and reach for the feet declaring this is a delicacy and most favored food!   

Total honesty, here.  I don't know if I can do it.  I don't know if I'll be able to eat chicken feet and beans.  I feel guilty, embarrassed, ashamed, and most of all queasy in the stomach.  I really and truly don't know if I can eat this particular dish that most assuredly will be offered to me while in Haiti.

I'm grieving over what to do.  My daughter who has visited Haiti several times now has assured me with delight that I will "love this food"! She said it's the most delicious chicken she has eaten.  Well, what does she know?  She eats goats and all kinds of other strange things.  Truthfully, I think I'm pretty much going on a liquid diet while there.  Okay, I'll eat the beans.  But, chicken feet?  I can't...I really, really cannot do that, Lord. 

These are the thoughts that are circulating through my mind every day as I prepare for this trip.  To some this may seem silly, but to me this is major, life-changing stuff for me.   

My prayer for today:  "Dear God, I thank you for the bounty of food you have provided me all of my life.  May I feel the pain of others who are hungry so that I might know how to help.  May I be humbled as I sit among orphans and elderly and those in prison and learn to understand more of your love and purpose for my life while on this earth.  And, God, help me to be thankful for everything -- even chicken feet.  Very humbly I pray, Amen."

Only forty days until time to leave....  

Love,
Clara  

2 comments:

  1. You'll love it. Mind over matter! Interestingly, our text for the sermon yesterday came from Luke 10 when Jesus sent out the 72 with nothing but the clothes on their backs. Jesus intstructs them, "Whenever you enter a town and they receive you, eat what is set before you." This takes on whole new meaning. They weren't to reject anything that was given by "sons of peace" when they entered those towns. To do so was a rejection of that peace the townspeople extended. A hard lesson, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy,
    I think I'm going to have so many hard lessons to learn. I've read that verse probably a hundred times before, but it's not until now that the meaning makes any sense.

    I'll be doing lots of deep breathing and may need an occasional nudge or two from you!

    Thanks for helping me out with this one!

    Love,
    Claire

    ReplyDelete